October 05, 2023

The Ruined Hall (from The House on the River) live at the Lynn Guildhall.



alternative lyric as published in 'Doin Differen't 2015) 

Strange that an Encyclopaedic Age
Leaves Fye Bridge House un-reckoned on its page.
But wait! a lace-cuffed bard with limpid eye
Is halted by a spirit thrilling by…

‘I haunt the former greatness of this Hall -
Before a ceiling floored its gothic stage,
My cheek is paper-white, my poppy
Mouth the blemish on a poet’s page.’

‘Consumptive spirit! Wild! Unbounded! Free!
O sleepless beauty past all human measure.’
She falls upon the thorns of life. I bleed!
Her gates of Eden open at my ple-….

‘I pine for Ruined Hall and sing
An elegy of days before a floor
Plucked window’s eye and clipped the wings
Of church-like space, staired flights unknown before!’

I charge her cup again, again, and ever:
Our Road to Wisdom’s Palace is Excess;
Her blood lips wailing for her demon lover
And black eyes staring from her naked breasts!’

Repeat ‘Consumptive spirit…’ Chorus

Alas! A pounding at the door, the vision flies.
The Parson calls on business, and the Poem ...dies!

No comments: