July 14, 2024

Euros2024: The House Where I Saw England Win The World Cup On TV



I return to the Rodden Estate in my home town of Frome in July 2024 to secure a victory for England against Spain in the European Nations Final. Until Wednesday's semi final (10 July) I hadn't watched England play on TV in Frome since July 1966 (in the days when everyone played in black and white) and this was clearly the missing final link in lifting the 58 years of hurt from off the Three Lions' collective back. But just to make sure, I popped back next day (or was the day after?) to the old house and the green green grass of home (that's my box bedroom window at the end of house shot and the living room below where we watched the game. I put a 'Swinging London' Union Jack up outside at the end of the game. It will be a Three Lions bag or two from Frome Marks and Spencers if we do it today.) Then I popped up to Badger's Hill where I used to get my leather ball dubbined and watch Tony and Kim Book (the former later a top flight winner with Manchester City, the latter later a goalkeeper for Bournemouth) contest the old Western league while listening to the Light programme's commentary of a First Division second half game. Ah, 1966 and all that - under a recently elected Labour Government. Why has it all taken so long to come again? And in one way a little further. A first final on foreign soil... But it is here. If we've won and you're in the mood for happy endings after a lot of unhappy false beginnings, you can read all the 58 years of context here in a small collection of sonnets here https://calwaygareth.blogspot.com/p/the-beautiful-game.html but these will read a lot better of there's a victory sonnet at the start. If we lose, you can just stare at the wall and wonder how long you've got left for the next chance like me. With the glorious exceptions of the women's team two years ago, the England Rugby team in 2003 and the cricket triumphs, I hope you don't have to wait as long as I have. Fingers, legs and stars crossed.


No comments: